Clyde #2 dating website sanfranciscodatingagency com
- Presented with a portrait of HRH Queen Mary which hung in the forward lounge by the Cunard company in appreciation- Williamson-Buchanan (1935) Ltd established in October 1935 as her owners became a subsidiary of the Caledonian Steam Packet Co.- Only took the yellow and black funnel colours of the CSP in December 1939 and was finally registered as owned by that company in 1943- Remained on the Clyde throughout the Second World War sporting a range of (mostly grey) camouflage liveries.- Wartime duties involved ferry work between Gourock and Dunoon and tendering military and troop-transporting ships including RMS Queen Mary- Enclosed wheelhouse fitted in 1948 - First and third class areas were abolished in 1950 and all accommodation became available to all passengers - Mainmast fitted in 1954 to meet new safety regulations - and new cafeteria facilities installed in the same year- Converted to an oil burning Yarrow water-tube boiler in early 1957 by Barclay, Curle.
One large elliptical funnel incorporating ventilation replaced her two funnels- Radar installed in 1960.- Livery change in 1965 to "monastral" blue hulls of British Rail, but retained the Caley's yellow funnel - albeit with red lions rampant fitted to the sides- Masts shortened in 1969 so that she could sail under the new Kingston Bridge on which a new motorway ran through Glasgow- After the 1969 season, Glasgow sailings from Bridge Wharf were withdrawn (with the new bridge still unfinished) and she then sailed out of Gourock- Black hull colouring restored in 1970 - Extensively refitted and facilities rearranged in early 1971 and placed on a wider range of excursion sailings following the withdrawal of TS Duchess of Hamilton- Lost her (unreplaced) bow rudder in a collision with US navy tug Natick in July 1972 in fog off the Cloch - sailed for the rest of the season with twisted bow plates- Her original name was restored in 1976 after Cunard's Queen Mary was removed from the register.- In 1976, sailings to and from Glasgow (which had proven popular with passengers of the paddle steamer Waverley) were restored- Withdrawn in 1977 having had poor loadings and after local government tourist development grants were withdrawn in favour of the Waverley.- Her final cruise was an evening "Showboat" cruise from Largs to Rothesay and through the Kyles of Bute on September 12th 1977.- Earlier that day she had sailed light from Gourock to Largs then took a public cruise via Rothesay and Dunoon into Loch Long then back light from Largs to Gourock - Laid-up at East India Harbour, Greenock.- Short-lived informal enthusiast group Friends of Queen Mary established (Note : no connection with the current Friends' charity)- Sold to Glasgow District Council in June 1978 for GBP 30,000 - Plans to develop her as a maritime museum on the Clyde collapsed as budgets were cut by a new incoming government.- Sold to Euroyachts Ltd for use as a floating restaurant at Anderston Quay, Glasgow, for GBP 17,000 in May 1980- Without progress, the National Trust for Scotland showed interest in the ship for use as offices and an educational centre- In 1981, after eight months with Euroyachts she was sold to the Lau family restaurant company Tesright Ltd for GBP 40,000- Left the Clyde on 29th January 1981 under tow to King George V Dock, London, arriving on 2nd February.
The total cost was estimated at GBP 2 million- Warren Smith Architects involved in the design work.
- Moved from Chatham Historic Dockyard on July 29th 1988 under tow by Warrior (skippered by Ron Livett), Triton and Sir Aubrey of Warrior Towage Ltd.- Moored alongside the Embankment on the north bank of the Thames immediately upstream from Waterloo Bridge with her bows pointing upstream- She was understood to have been the largest vessel to have reached this far upstream - Received a major refurbishment in 1997 at Chatham at a reported cost of GBP 2.5 million and reappeared with buff funnels with black tops.- In 2005 her upper works were painted light blue, her ventilators being buff to match the funnel - In February 2006 the blue was overpainted with brilliant white.
This organisation, which has charitable status, was established by a group of those who hoped that the ship could be returned to her home river, the Clyde.
The grudging agreement of her owners saw the name go to the Clydebank-built liner so as to avoid an unacceptable duplication of names on the shipping register.
The liner is now preserved in Long Beach, California, whilst the Clyde steamer became "Queen Mary II" until recovering her original name in 1976.
The organisation is established for charitable purposes only, and in particular, the objects are: To advance the arts, heritage, culture or science by/through: Acquiring and returning TS Queen Mary to a new permanent berth on the River Clyde.
Preserving TS Queen Mary at the new permanent berth; Facilitate public access to TS Queen Mary.